[nagdu] a couple questions

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 8 09:17:25 UTC 2010

    One unique aspect of GDF is that they will cross-train a dog for other
disabilities. BTW, they not only provide guide dogs, they also train service
animals for other disabilities. I am a GDF consumer. I am very pleased with
my dog, in spite of the fact that I have an issue with his competitive,
dominant spirit. It only is an issue when my wife and I work together, as he
seems to forget he is a guide dog! I am working out the issue, though,
letting him know who is the head of this team and who is ultimately the
dominant one! (grin) At 100 lbs., it sometimes takes a strong hand to keep
him in line. That's one of the reasons we were matched together. (I trained
police dogs in my previous life!)
    Though I agree, in theory, that all programs are essentially good ones,
I have some serious issues with the practical implementation of this theory
by at least three programs. I am encouraging two of them to join us in at
least the 20th century when it comes to their philosophies of the capacities
of blind people and how we are treated. The third - The Eye Dog Foundation -
I have completely written off and am working diligently to shut them down!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users
National Federation of the Blind