[nagdu] a couple questions

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Wed Dec 8 14:45:02 UTC 2010

My point isn't about fleas or rabies.  It's about making judgments.
Deciding who is worthy of having a guide dog smacks of Big Brother to me.

this deciding who should and who shouldn't have a guide dog is the same
thing as judging one another's skills.  It isn't helpful and is usually
hurtful.

I happen to be a fairly good traveler with either cane or dog.  My Braille
skills are pitiful.  and if you want to see me break out in a cold sweat
just ask me to make fried chicken. I'm okay with all of those things.  It is
who I am.

I did attend an excellent training center.  I worked in blindness rehab and
am still very involved with my state agency.  Back in the day I did have a
much more stringent view of what blind people *should* and *shouldn't* do or
be.  Yes, I looked down on and criticized blind people who went sighted
guide all the time.  there was even a time that I thought guide dog use was
a cop out.  I thought it perfectly reasonable that any blind person should
be able to cook anything from the Julia Childs cookbook.  I was wrong, what
can I say. Blind people are just people.

All I am saying is that I think we should live and let live.

Julie