[nagdu] a couple questions

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 8 16:51:40 UTC 2010

Jordan,
    The assumption of the schools seems to be that they need to "keep an eye
on things", since, as blind adults, we are incapable of caring for our dogs
and knowing when they are not working safely. The only thing we can do as an
organization is encourage them to adopt policies that respect the dignity of
the blind consumer. As consumers, we can make our choices based upon these
issues, much like other consumers. As NAGDU president, I hear the stories of
programs repossessing dogs without cause and without due process. No other
consumer would tolerate such repression!
    Can you imagine someone buying a car with the agreement that the
dealership can repossess the vehicle at any time for any reason without
cause and without due process? What if they were to say, "You own the car,
but we own the keys and can take them away from you for no apparent reason!"
like the programs do with their harnesses. Of course, you could make copies
of the keys, just in case this happens, much like we can purchase our own
harnesses should the training program arbitrarily decide they want them
back.
    As guide dog users, we are so beholden to the training programs that we
allow ourselves to be intimidated by them, believing they have our "best
interests" or those of the dog at heart! If anyone believes this does not or
cannot happen, watch future issues of the Braille Monitor. You will be
shocked to hear the stories of people subjected to harrassment,intimidation,
and one-sided "ownership" agreements! Without ownership, you have no rights!

Fraternally yours,
Marion