[nagdu] a couple questions

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 9 05:10:37 UTC 2010

Cindy,

Yeah.  I've had people tell me about how others are too harsh with their
dogs...  Since I wasn't there, I don't know and tend to say that.

I've also had people get after me for not correcting my dog properly or
often enough.  /lol/  As an applied operant conditioning trainer, my
communication with her involves more positive reinforcement of wanted
behaviors than negative reinforcement of unwanted ones...  When I do express
disapproval because Mitzi's just pushing the boundaries too far in a
rebellious snot monster way (she almost never does, but she does have her
days), that communication is very, very subtle.  She understands it, and
that's all that counts.  Then I can reward her when she decides she pushed
the envelope far enough and can just get back to work now.  /grin/  She also
communicates disapproval to me if I'm having a rotten handler day, then
rewards me when I shape up in very much the ways I do with her.  Funny dog.

Anyway, those communications are between us.  I don't feel a need to impress
anybody else with how correctly I discipline my dog.  Honestly, I don't want
to spend the energy, anyway.  Others do things differently, and that's okay,
too.  Appropriately given leash corrections for a dog that was trained that
way are not injurious, and keeping the dog on tracks keeps you both safe.
Crueler to let the dog with away with too much (for that dog) and get hit by
a car, don't you think?

I finally did point out that to someone who was horrified when I did give
Mitzi a harness bump.  That means I just give a slight correction using the
harness handle to remind her to stay on track.  I almost never have to, but
there are days the usual reminders and clicks don't do the trick because she
just would rather sniff than work.  /smile/  So she'll get obstinate and
glue her nose to the groun, and will give her a slight lift with the
harness, which was designed to take that weight without harming her when she
guides...  Anyway, someone saw this horrible abuse while we were by a busy
street that demanded both Mitzi and I pay full attention to our work, not
the grass.  So I pointed out the outcome I was trying to prevent:  Crazy
idiot driver she doesn't notice and pull us out of the way of because she's
busy sniffing.

Don't what the person thought, but I didn't hear any more about it.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney