[nagdu] contact with puppy raisers/walkers

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Tue Dec 14 22:25:35 UTC 2010

Good afternoon everyone,

    Yet every other guide dog school does permit some kind of puppy
raiser-guide dog handler communication. Undoubtedly things like what you
described happen and get worked out. If the other schools can work through
these situations so can SE.

    Now before you tell me or anyone on this list that if they don't like
SE's policy concerning puppy raiser contact any guide dog program I would
choose to attend must meet the following criteria. It must:
1. Give its graduates full ownership of its dogs upon graduation;
2. It must permit direct contact between graduates and puppy raisers
desiring such contact;
3. Students in training must be permitted to work their dogs off of the
school grounds unaccompanied prior to graduation;
4. The school must employ blind guide dog trainers in addition to its other
blind employees;
5. The school must incorporate sleepshade training in its program;
6. The school must use the Structured-Discovery Model in its programs;
7. The program's philosophy of blindness must be that of the NFB;

    GDB meets some of those criteria but not all of them. After reading the
above list you'll know that you're telling the wrong person to "Switch
schools" if they don't like a particular policy.

Peter Donahue