[nagdu] Season's greetings

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 20 03:41:16 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I just want to wish all of you peace and happiness for this holy holiday
season, and to join in your sorrow over the sad news from Colorado.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories of life with guide dogs, and
for celebrating the wonder of their being with me.

Here is a short piece I wrote in 2001 in tribute to writer Annie Dillard.
Hope it warms your hearts for the holidays.

Walking The Dog, Communing With God:

Celebrating the Liturgy of Everyday Life

            At 4:30 a.m., the tap of a wagging tail wakens me from sleep.
Benedicite. I feed my dog, pull on a coat over my pajamas, and head out into
the dark of pre-dawn morning to walk in a circle, as I have done for almost
thirty years.  My dog leaves his offering, and I get down on my knees to
clean up.  Deo gratias.  Thus begins for me a daily office celebrated before
dawn, after breakfast, at noon, at suppertime, and before bed.  I feed, I
water, and I walk in a circle with my dog as I have done for my whole adult
life, and as countless guide dog handlers throughout the nation do every
day.

For me, time is shaped by these walks.  Time is out of joint and the day is
out of focus when I have no dog to walk.   In my relation to my dog, and to
the God who accompanies us on our walks, I am a kind of monk.  My day is
divided into the work of feeding and grooming, the discipline of daily
obedience exercises, the playtime of ball chasing and fetching, and the
hourly round of walking in a circle, where I pray.

            I did not know what it was to pray until I learned how to walk
my dog.  I say no words.  I contemplate no psalms and make no petitions.
But I am filled with deep peace.  Without willing it, my whole self opens to
the holiness of the moment and gives thanks for the love of other creatures,
for bodies that work harmoniously to nourish and cleanse themselves, for
earth and sky, and for the fact that I will daily take part in both no
matter what else I do in life.  I am joined in relationship to a being other
than myself, in community with other humans I will never meet, created by
that Other who is as close to me as I am to my dog. For me, this is
religion.

Best to all,

Elizabeth