[nagdu] EXTERNAL:Re: contact with puppy raisers/walkers

James Brown jbrown321 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 24 20:53:25 UTC 2010

Fidelco trained us with the fist tap.  A lowered fist is the sign for come.
When I lower a balled fist, Jordan comes and taps my fist with his nose.

Here is a way to get them familiar with touching your hand.  I start with
both my hands behind my back with a treat in one fist.  Jordan would be
sitting in front of me, and I would pull out the fist without the treat
towards his face and say Jordan.  He would tap my fist with his nose, and I
would immediately bring around the reward from the other hand.  As we built
on the training, I would bring around the one fist, call his name, get a
nose tap, put my hand back behind my back, switch the treat to the opposite
hand, then pull the other fist out, call his name, get a tap, and repeat
several times before giving him his reward.

For some reason, I love how we can communicate non verbally now.