[nagdu] Interesting Names Re: guide dog book about young person

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 4 01:05:36 UTC 2010

Linda,
    I was blind when I trained police and guard dogs in the mid 70s but
didn't really know it! (grin) I had 20/30 central vision but a field of
about 15 degrees. It resulted in a few mishaps, since part of my job was to
"catch" the dogs. by this I mean I was the one who wore the sleeve that the
dogs would rip off as their "reward"! We had a couple of dogs that would
duck or rise at the last minute, so I had to wear other protection! (It's a
wonder I have a child! (sly grin)
    On the one hand, I am pretty anxious about getting Sarge! I have heard
so much about him from Mike Sargeant and the head of the puppy department
and even got a Christmas present from him! On the other hand, he will be
very well trained by the time I get him. I am certain it will all be worth
the wait!
    I intend to pair the hand gestures with the English/German commands,
dropping the English ones eventually. I may also use some "gernglish"
commands for some of the ones that may not be used all that frequently but
that he probably already knows. Some of the guide commands are not ones I am
familiar with in German, so my sister (who is studying German) and a friend
of hers who is a native German-speaker are helping me with them. So far my
favorite is "Pass auf!" That means "Mind your business!" I just think it
sounds cool! Also, Merry says I won't have any trouble finding a seat on the
buss with a 90+ lb. dog with a black face and gold eyes! What say you?
(smile)

fraternally yours,
Marion