[nagdu] FW: Re: visit to a prison

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Thu Feb 4 17:02:54 UTC 2010

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.
New York, New York  10004
www.myblindspot.org

PH: 917-553-0347
Fax: 212-858-5759
doing it."

Visit us on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?filter=pp#/pages/My-Blind-Spot/19374068832
8?ref=nf>   <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/albert-j-rizzi/13/142/0> LinkedIn

  _____

From: Albert J Rizzi [mailto:albert at myblindspot.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:39 AM
To: 'nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org'
Subject: Re: [nagdu] visit to a prison

I had what could have been a very frustrating experience, but with cooler
heads prevailing, I was afforded access.

Yesterday I went to visit a young man in my community who fell on the wrong
side of trouble and is doing a short stint in the local jail. I had heard
tell of instances where people with walkers and canes were asked, or should
I say ordered to check their canes and walkers at the door before entering
for a visit. I find this to be ridiculous but can appreciate the reasoning
behind security and other concerns present with what could quickly turn to a
volatile  situation at any moment. that thought being given I decided to
take my guide dog instead of my cane.

After waiting on line, checking in and having been there for over half an
hour, we were called to the desk, but I had already overheard a call that
had been made inquiring into the procedures to follow with a guide dog and
his visitor. At first I was told it would complicate the drug dogs and their
ability to do their job. I quipped  they are both service animals with
specific trainings  which each handler should in any instance be able to
control their animal and keep them on task and under control. I let desk
clerk know I felt my rights as a citizen were being violated and I was being
wrongly discriminated upon due to lack of knowledge of legislation in place
to ensure my equal access. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told he
was transferred and there was no immediate supervisor present. I questioned
that immediately and then asked in his or her absence to speak to their
supervisor, or better yet, could they get the warden on the phone? I was
told he was a busy man and that the clerk did not have his number. So I
suggested that the clerk call the same person he did when I was sitting some
40 feet away who gave him the misinformation so that I might speak with him
directly. They then suggested that we all meet, myself, my dog and the young
man I was visiting meet in a contained area with a glass wall between
ourselves. I felt that was unacceptable as no one else present was being
asked to do that same thing during their visit. I insisted that the mother
of the young man I was to visit go ahead while I waited to talk to someone
in authority other then a clerk.  I advised the clerk that he was in
violation of the ADA, hoping he was to tell you the truth, and that if I
were denied equal access then I would be forced to take the matter up with
my senator and assemblymen. I also let him know that the types of
intimidation tactics used to maintain  order were lost on me as I come from
a long line of law enforcement officials and am immune to such things.
Eventually, lutenent  Destefano asked me to step aside and discuss the
matter in quiet. He understood my position and admitted that they had never
had a guide dog come to prison before and were completely taken off guard on
proper protocol. I thanked him for his honesty and let him know that this
was my first time to a prison, and it was my first time as a blind man. we
immediately fell into a dialogue which led to a simple request. That if and
when I were to come again, would I give them a heads up so they could make
arrangements  much as they do for others visiting with children. We would
have been afforded access in a manner that would not have to complicate the
delicate balance within the prison. His concerns were not lost on me when
after having only been sitting with my friend and her son, without a wall
dividing us, a man was handcuffed and led away as he was attempting to pass
contraband into the prison illegally. I left feeling I had struck a blow for
our community and will be writing a letter to the warden, copy the senator
and thank the warden and lute ant Estefan for treating me with respect and
in a proper fashion befitting any American. I will say that when I got to my
intended visit, the young man was fearful of retribution toward him once I
left. I hope not, but will report back if and when I hear anything. I would
welcome opinions on how I handled myself as I take very seriously the
responsibility of representing the blind in an empowered manner while
educating others along the way. All in all it was a good experience. I even
got a pat on the back from two people sitting in the lobby who complimented
me on how I handled myself in a powerful way and how impressed they were
that I did not bend to intimidation..

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.