[nagdu] differences between caring for pets and guides

fuehrer stacy l precious1205 at charter.net
Sat Feb 13 12:18:46 UTC 2010

Mark, each school puts out good and bad dogs, no particular
school has the best behaved dogs.  As far as what breeds handle
crowds and noise, upon being excepted to whichever school you
would choose, the team of instructors would best match you
according to that particular environment, given you indicate this
on your application.  Questions are asked about environments the
dog must work in.  Some schools, such as The Seeing Eye, will
actually come to your area and do a home interview, assessing
your travel skills, the environment the dog will not only be
working in, but living in as well.  Other schools are smaller and
don't have the staff for this purpose.  As a result, they ask you
to send in a video of your area including you traveling, etc.
The one thing I can strongly recommend, when researching schools,
ask lots of questions of their follw up services after you return
home.  Will they come visit if you have issues requiring
assistance? The Seeing Thye and Guide Dogs for the Blind do this
for sure.
Best, this game of 20 questions doesn't bother me, that's what
we're here for.
Stacy and London graduates of The Seeing Eye