[nagdu] differences between caring for pets and guides

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Sun Feb 14 00:26:59 UTC 2010

Wayne,

This is great advice to Mark.  It doesn't matter when, where or how, but
your guide will just know.  It doesn't matter where you are in your
relationship/bonding, they will just know and they are indeed a reflection
of you.  I re-learned this with my current guide within a couple of weeks
after returning home from Leader Dog, and just remembering what Wayne
stated, made the difference.  One thing I have learned is to have fun when
working my guide, and it is definitely seen by the general public who are
watching each and everyone us all of the time.  Which hits on another point
that was touched on in many of the previous threads, and that is how we take
care of our guides.  They are more than just a plain ol' dog, as we are in
the public eye all of the time.  Understanding what our responsibilities are
allow us to have rights to places of public accommodation that really no
other animals are otherwise allowed with of course some exceptions.  What I
am getting at is the issue of making sure that your dog is always
presentable, and under control at all times just reinforces the necessity to
regularly groom and conduct obedience which not only makes the dog look
great, but it makes you look good too, creates an incredible bond with your
guide, and puts smiles on those of our sighted counterparts who we run
across every day.

Steve, Misha, and Ripley (retired)