[nagdu] researching programs

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 13 21:35:53 UTC 2010

Mark,
    Well, you touch on one of my favorite topics - Ownership! I believe the
school should transfer ownership to the graduate upon graduation. There may
be extenuating circumstances because we are dealing with human nature, but I
believe this should be the exception rather than a pre-arranged contractual
agreement. If blind people have the right to care for their own children
without fear of social interference, I believe we also have the ability to
care for a dog! I have never heard a negative argument that could not be
overcome by an affirmative one. There is no evidence to suggest that a blind
person is more likely to have unhealthy dogs. In fact, I believe we are
generally held to a higher standard! The Seeing Eye has always had an
ownership upon graduation policy and it seems to work quite well!
    I know of too many instances in which schools have unduly interfered
with a handler's rights with respect to their dog, using threats and
intimidation. I even disagree with the retention of ownership of the gear.
It's just one more controlling string to hold over someone's head. I have my
own harnesses. No one can take them away from me!
    My soapbox is getting a little rickety, so I need to dust off the top
and make a few repairs, and bring up the subject again! I hope more and more
people would speak up by choosing schools that have more respectful
policies. Anything less is coustodial!

Fraternally yours,
marion Gwizdala

argument - one that could not be overcome with evidence-based