[nagdu] researching programs

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 03:20:14 UTC 2010

Julie,

You reminded me of a couple of things when reading your messages.
First, early on when I came back with my new guide,a  coworker asked
me a serious question, "Do German Shepherds make the best guides?" I
happen to be using this breed as my guide, which I suppose prompted
the question. My anser, which I gave while smiling slightly was,
"Depends on who you ask." He then said, "Wayne, this is a serious
question." My sincere reply, "Well, this is a serious answer. If you
ask someone with a German Shepherd, they'll say that that breed is the
best, and if you ask someone using a Lab, they'll say that that
breed's the best." My smile was a little bigger by this point. The
very same thing happened when myself and several other students in
training at Seeign Eye boarded a bus and I was asked the question by
the passenger sitting next to me. The difference, the bus passenger
saw I was being a little flippid by my grin while answering. Reminds
me of the old story that goes something like: 4 people are standing
around an intersection, each on a different corner, and when they are
asked about the car accident that happened in front of all of them,
they each give different answers based on what they saw.

The other item: I was on the bus for my daily commute a week ago, and
had an older gentleman tell me, in a somewhat disconcerted voice,
"Don't hchoke that dog," while I was pushing my guide under my seat,
in order to move her out of the aisle. I assured him that this was the
furthest thing from my mind. I'm not sure that he was firing on all
cyllinders anyway since before this exchange, he had exclaimed that he
had not seen my dog. This was after we had boarded and she walked and
turned right in front of him in order to go under the bench seat. Made
me wonder if I wasn't the only one on the bus that had a vision
problem, grin.

My thoughts,
Wayne