[nagdu] Explaining to parents that guide dogs are useful

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 15 16:08:31 UTC 2010

Julie,

Well put, as always.  /smile/  Most of the usual visitors to our home have
impeccable manners themselves, so abide by our wishes when it comes to our
dogs without a thought.  As Daisy's anxiety issues have come down, we have
been working on her greeting manners with increasing success.  It used to be
that what we focused on was preventing Daisy from eating the company.
/smile/  Once she realized that people were pretty okay after all, we
allowed to her to over love them for a few sessions (with guests who were
willing to put up with it), and have slowly been using OC, going heavy on
the treats, to bring her greeting and attention--seeking behaviors to a more
acceptable set of manners. /smile/  We also add a lot of praise, naturally.
"Good don't sit on (name)'s head, Daisy!"  /lol/  Whether she loves you or
hates you, Daisy is a lot of dog, and she lets her feelings be known.

Mitzi knows better manners, but with special friends will take any
opportunity provided by our distraction with Daisy to demonstrate her joy at
their presence with great melodrama.  Sigh.  So now I go into the corner of
the kitchen where the treat jar is, call them and grab the clicker.  This
works very well, so long as we have a handy supply of the treats that are a
greater temptation than the company.  Right now, we have kibble in the treat
jar, which doesn't fool anybody.  /smile/  So the adventure continues.

For those few who have no respect for others, I finally gave up
communicating and starting using OC on them.  They complained mightily, but
they did start behaving themselves unless they thought they could get away
with being bad.  These individuals are technically not welcome here anymore,
but you know how it is with people who have no respect for others.  One
moved out of state and the other is due to follow this very day.  We have
our fingers crossed. /smile/

Training the roommate, Daisy's Dad, is a lost cause.  /grin/  I tease him
about that whenever an opportunity presents itself, but he is very good
about knowing how and when to spoil the girls in a way that has actually
reinforced their table manners, etc.  So our rule is that is his job -- and
his job alone -- to share people food according to his usual moderation.  It
is my job to use training treats or kibble as food rewards for good behavior
and what passes for obedience exercises around here.  It is everyone else's
jobs to mind their manners and not make our dogs sick while ruining their
manners!

Since the humans with manners and respect also have some brains and sense,
they seem perfectly willing to accept that Mitzi does need to maintain a
higher level of etiquette at home because of her job and where it takes her.
Whew!

And, yes, there are a number of little things I would do much differently
and be much more relaxed about if she were a pet, not a guide dog!  Most of
it has become a matter of everyday, and I have relaxed on a few things over
the years because I have learned her and how she translates the distinction
between home and work.  She's pretty good, actually, especially now that
she's grown out of the need to push the envelope every 30 seconds.  /smile/

This is a great discussion.

Tami Smith-Kinney