[nagdu] calling the program was researching programs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 15 20:52:25 UTC 2010

Julie,

I've been told a time or two by someone that they turned me in because
they're so worried about me and just the OCB to do something.  The way in
which they tell me leads me to believe they expect me to so very grateful
and to attend closely to their lecture about going to the OCB and every
other social agency they've heard of or just dreamed up on the spot because
I need to learn to ask for help.  If I can't learn that, they add severely,
they are done with me and will not help me out again if that's how I'm going
to be.

The first time, I believed I was miscommunicating, so the second time I
paused to consider my responses carefully and just never got the opportunity
to make any of them.  The concerned citizen's half of the conversation went
exactly the same way that of the previous concerned citizen's had.  So now I
just listen patiently until they get out of my way and I can move on, unless
I get bored enough to just turn around and go around the block the other
way.

I guess people see me as approachable enough to keep me in the loop about
what they're doing to protect me from my dangerously irresponsible
lifestyle.  Frankly, though, it gives me the willies.

Now that I have a big strong man to take care of me, of course, they just
tell him about it.  Although when moved to this end of the neighborhood, I
did learn that the new neighbors were keeping a close watch on me and
letting the managers know what I was up to.  The whole lot of them fretted a
great deal about the amount time said big, strong man would spend at work
while leaving me all alone with "those dogs."

I would imagine it's the same thing with people who call the nearest guide
dog school about rogue handlers out crossing streets and not letting people
pet their poor overworked guide dogs.

Tami Smith-Kinney