[nagdu] calling the program was researching programs

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Feb 19 18:24:51 UTC 2010

Hi Ann,
I think you have a good point here in regards to dog handling. It seems that
the dog owning public are going more towards the reward system and the
"click and treat" and people are getting away from choke collars and leash
corrections that are still being used by most of the guide dog schools.

I see this trend while I work in my Humane Society programs.  They use no
choke collars on any of their dogs.  I see volunteers walking the shelter
dogs all the time and they use either a head collar, nylon martingale collar
or this other kind that is like a harness with the leash attachment ring at
the front of the chest. There is no choking or pressure on the neck.  When
I'm in our programs, I use a nylon martingale collar on Landon and have the
leash attached to that. He still wears his choke collar that is holding his
tags.

In my case, the HS program people realize that my dog was trained with the
regular chain choke and therefore they don't have any problem with me having
it on Landon.  When I really need to control Landon while visiting, I hold
him by the small loop of the martingale collar but when out on the streets,
a correction with this collar has no effect on him - he needs the chain
collar then.

I think GDB is starting to get away from chain collars.  They're now using a
martingale collar with nylon for the part around the neck with the small
loop being chain.  You get the chain sound while doing a correction but not
the total choking as there is with an ordinary chain choke collar.  They are
also using the "click and treat" method in their training and the dogs
appear to be "softer".  I have heard different reviews on using the clicker
and having to carry around treats - some feel it is a royal pain and others
like it.

Seeing Eye hasn't done this yet but they do use the clicker training during
the dog's training before we get them.

Lyn and Landon