[nagdu] seeing eye

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 21:48:09 UTC 2010

You will be given a small mat for the dog to sleep on during one of
the first regular nightly lectures when you're at the school. This
will probably be the first night you're there, where they go over
basic stuff, everyone introduces themselves, and they hand out a few
things like the mats. Some dogs are crated at the Seeing Eye, but I
think that this depends on the dog. Many of my classmates had crates
for their dogs and some didn't. I didn't use a crate my first half of
training, but asked for one during the second half. My dog seemed to
do fine with or without one. I looked into crates when I returned
home, but quickly discovered that the ones that the school was using,
were usually around $300 or more. I didn't much like the cheaper ones,
or couldn't find any that suited me, so I've just done without and my
dog hasn't been worse for wear. I tried leaving the mat out, but she
eventually pushed it aside and now just sleeps on bare carpet and does
fine. If my apartment had floors then things might be different, but
then again who knows. I'm sure that she wouldn't be opposed to having
a nicer mat or doggie bed, but since she's done fine without one, then
I really haven't seen the need. My trainer at the school pretty much
said as much when I brought up the topic of crates with him.

Wayne