[nagdu] guide dogs

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Sun Feb 21 14:32:02 UTC 2010

Hi Jennifer,

You have a lot of great questions, and as you will find, the comments,
suggestions and recommendations from this list-serv are great, but you will
also go through each of these things through your formal training wherever
you choose to go.  Each of our experiences has similarities, but are quite
different as each of our situations and dogs are uniquely different.

I for instance, have 2 guides, one retired, and one that has been with me
for over a year and a half.  At this point, I do not put either one on
tie-down, as they are now accustomed to their home environment, but each one
knows where their beds are, the command to go to bed, upstairs, lay down or
whatever  it might be.  I also make sure that my guide is well-worked so
sleep is not an issue, and therefore I do not worry about them getting up
and wandering around at night like a cat.  Even if they do, my home is
pup-proofed so there is not really anything that they can get into.

Jennifer, this is all a process, and as you work toward getting your guide,
you too at some point will be sharing your experiences with another peer who
is about to embark on the first-time adventure of being with their first
guide.  Hold on though, as it is truly an adventure, and one that you will
not regret, but continue to do your homework, and be ready for some intense
training wherever you go.

The best of luck to you with your new adventure,

Steve & Leader Dog, Misha, Retired Leader Dog, Ripley