[nagdu] Where your dog sleeps at night, etc.

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 22 19:41:37 UTC 2010

Marion,

The phrase "tie down" does sound much harsher than tether, even when you
know it's the same thing and that it is most often something that is
reassuring to the dog more than restrictive, at least when it's done right.
Same with crates.

I always worry about the notion of extended tie-down because it feels like
I'm the one being deprived of my dog...  Very sad, and my inner child
whimpers at the thought.  /grin/

I emphasized training my rebel girl to chose to mind her manners before I
trained her to tie down because of her temperament and her independent
approach to obedience.  Forcing her into something, no matter how gently, is
less effective than working with convincing her to choose to do the right
thing when she has other options.

So I was surprised once I did introduce her to tie-down as something other
than a "restriction" style of negative reinforcement (not with a scolding
type of negativity, just a means of withholding reward for the behavior we
were modifying), she took too it pretty easily and I was able to give
positive rewards.

We don't need that really in our everyday toolkit, but it is nice to know
it's there in case we do.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney