[nagdu] Beaches and dogs

Jonathan Lyens jonathan at lyens.com
Fri Feb 26 05:52:32 UTC 2010

Dan,

Living in California, we have lots of beaches that are not restrictive
about dogs or no. Turbo, and my career change Sheppard Louie, love the
beach. They really flip out, and enjoy being "dogs" on the beach.
Further, Louie is older, and the Vets say running in the sand is
actually good for his back.

But, for a beach that does not allow dogs, I would not bring my guide to
do the same recreational type play. I have never worked my guide on the
beach. I have never even had Turbo in harness on a beach. So, if your
beach does not allow pets, I probably would not feel comfortable
bringing my guide on that beach. But, if you plan to actually "work"
your guide, have at it!

As a side note, I really suggest bringing your guide to play on a beach!
Dogs love being on sand. There is so much fun to be had. Find sometime
to let your dog run into waves over their head... they'll come back.
And, they'll be the better for it!

Best-

Jonathan