[nagdu] Beaches and dogs

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 27 13:05:50 UTC 2010

Jonathon,
    Even though and individual may not "feel comfortable" bringing their
guide dog to a beach that does not allow pets, the bottom line is that this
would be their choice. Both the ADA and most state laws would allow the
access should one choose to bring their dog. I, for one, have no problem
taking my guide dog to the beach out of harness. As I have mentioned in
other posts, I also have no issue dropping into a store while on a leisurely
walk with my dog out of harness. My dog is still a "service animal", whether
in or out of harness, and I am still a "qualified person with a disability"
who has the legal right to be accompanied by a service animal in any place
the general public is allowed. My retired dog would leash guide and my new
dog will be trained to do the same. the harness, like any other sort of
identification, is not a pre-condition for access.
    Again, the bottom line is that we have the legal right to be accompanied
by our dogs in any place the public is invited. We also have the
responsibility to keep our dogs under control. this being said, everyone
should allow themselves the joyful, healthy experience of going to the beach
and let their dogs have the same experience!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala