[nagdu] Beaches and dogs

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 26 11:16:04 UTC 2010

Tracy,
    I'm not sure that this was the consensus or not! Even if it was, the
legal answer, in my lay opinion, is that a disabled person has the right to
be accompanied by a service animal in any place the general public is
allowed and no additional fees can be charged for the dog.
    Many of us have been led to believe that the harness is a requirement
for access with our guide dogs. Even though a few states have such language
in their statutes and the school's have promulgated this information, such
provisions are unenforceable under the ADA. Every person can do what they
wish in this respect, but the bottom line is that we have the right to be
accompanied by our guide dogs on the beach, provided we keep them under
control and they do not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of
others. JMHO!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala