[nagdu] Meeting the dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Feb 26 13:05:48 UTC 2010

In my class at TSE, they didn't tell us anything about our new dogs.  We
just had to go to our rooms and wait to be called down to the lounge for
the big moment.  So all us gals in the women's wing sat next to our doors
and stuck our heads out so we could hear the instructors tell other
students what they'd got, and listen to our classmates bring their new
dogs back down the hall to their rooms.  It was great fun!
I don't remember my actual meeting with Ben all that well.  My instructor
told me he was a black lab named Ben, and he came over to give me a sniff.
 I hooked his leash on his collar, and noticed he's a very handsome dog,
and then we went back to my room.  We didn't know what to think of each
other for weeks after that.  Ben is interested in new people for a couple
minutes, then they're old hat.  It took him a good while to warm up to me,
in his catlike way.  So it was really nice, when they took him away for a
minute near the end of class for his solo picture, and he jumped on me
when he got back.  He missed me!

Jonathan is quite right.  Every dog meeting is different and special.  You
can't figure what it'll be like, because you don't know what kind of dog
you'll get, personality-wise. Some dogs are really excited; some are just
interested, and some are "Who the heck are you?"
Tracy