[nagdu] Meeting the dog

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 19:18:29 UTC 2010

I don't remember much from the meeting with my first dog,a  yellow Lab
named Tony. I don't remember the trainer bringing him to me, but I do
recall clipping the leash on and walking with him and the trainer back
to my room at Seeing Eye. With Tony at least, I remember it taking
awhile for me to win him over since we were both trained by the same
trainer. I recall being so serious in the first two weeks of training,
wanting to take everything in, and not even realizing what Tony was
going to do for me. It wasn't until we went on a freelance route to a
drugstore and Tony and I went in the store, found something to buy,
paid for it, and left that it dawned on me. Though the rest of
training flew by, I enjoyed it a lot more.

I remember a lot more from the meeting with my current guide, but
mainly because I recorded it on my Victor reader Stream. Sometimes I
listen to that recording to remind myself of what took place. The
current guide though was a lot more affectionate in those early days
and hours than Tony was. In fact, when my trainer brought Gucci to me,
she immediately put her front paws on my lap and before I knew it or
could take in what was happening, Gucci gave me a kiss. Then I heard
the trainer saying, "That's a good sign," and then describing what she
looked like. It did seem like I waited for a long time in the small
lounge area for the trainer to return with Gucci. I thought of pausing
the recording, but didn't want to be caught by surprise when they came
back in the room and run the risk of forgetting to start it again.
Anyway, the experience is special and something you'll never forget. I
can't think of anything to compare it to, except perhaps what happens
to new parents when their children are born. Though people never
forget that, some can act a little crazy, like a husband I heard of
once that ran out to call his wife after the event, to tell her about
the birth. He then said that she wasn't home.

Wayne