[nagdu] question about ownership and retirement

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Wed Jan 6 18:47:02 UTC 2010

Hi Daniel,
Sounds like Scout is a field Lab with all his energy. Scout sounds like a
dog Seeing Eye would drop from the program! Field Labs are especially bred
with hyper energy so they can be used for hunting.  Hunters need a high
energy dog that can continuously jump into cold water retrieving waterfowl
all day long!  This trait isn't very good in a guide dog.  The schools will
blend the field Lab with a conformation Lab which is very calm. With the
blend, you get a dog that has stamina to work but who can also chill when
you need it to.

If you retire Scoout and go elsewhere for a new dog, Leader may not allow
you to keep Scout.  He is young enough to retrain with another person.  But,
if they deem him unsuitable for guide work, they MAY let you keep him as a
pet.  This can be a problem with a school that has a contract and who
retains ownership of the dog.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine died.  She had a dog from a
California school that was around seven years old at the time of my friend's
death.  Because she didn't have in writing who she wanted her dog to go to,
the school wouldn't allow us, her friends, to give the dog to someone here
in San Diego who my friend had mentioned about retiring her dog to. Instead,
the school took the dog back and said that the intended person had to apply
for the dog just like anyone else who wanted to adopt a retired guide or
career-change dog.  So, I don't know whatever happened to the dog.

If I was you, I'd try to find out your school's policy for early retirement
before doing anything.  When you apply to a new school, they will check with
the old school about you and if there are any problems concerning your guide
dog use and dog care.

That's great that Scout is a good watchdog! Landon would lick an intruder to
death! LOL!  He doesn't bark at the door - something all my dogs from Seeing
Eye won't do!  I think they have their puppy raisers discourage door barking
from the very beginning.  Not a good thing for me as I do have a hearing
problem and aren't always aware that someone's at my door - especially if
I'm at my computer in my bedroom!

Hope all works out for you.  BTW, one of my friends here has a Seeing Eye
dog named Scout and they work with the Navy!

Cheers,

Lyn and Landon