[nagdu] Guide dog or guard dog?

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Sat Jan 16 13:21:31 UTC 2010

Guide vs. Guard?

Some of you may have had this similar situation as I did with my retired
guide.  I had a number of occasions where he did growl which could
eventually lead to a rather alarming hair-raising bark, or what might
describe as an attack bark.  After having sighted assistance observe this on
one of these rare occasions, it many times was in regards to what the
individual was wearing, how they presented themselves, but more importantly,
if he was able to make eye contact with the individual or not.  Let me back
up here, but if he saw someone, and this actually did happen, that was
walking with their arms tight against their body, and their head down, he
was on-guard like a Brink's armored vehicle driver!  Sure, I commanded him,
"quiet", but I did totally trust him.  I miss that with my new dog as crazy
as it sounds.  Although we live in a relatively safe community, there, as in
any town, those areas that are less safe especially after the sun falls.  On
occasion, we are in these areas, but we try not to be alone.  The nice thing
is that our guides present themselves as an intimidation factor or what we
might also refer to as an "equalizer"!  Personally, I do not have a problem
with my guide protecting me, that is if it is appropriate.  And, this is a
judgement call.  However, we all know that after years of working as a team,
there is that bond, and that instinctive nature to know that we had better
trust our best friends' judgement just as we would to cross a busy street.
They know when something is not right, and it sure has made me paranoid in
the past and pick up that pace, but that is the wonderful thing about having
that dog versus a cane.

JMO,
Steve