[nagdu] Identification, was Legislative Consideration

Steve Johnson stevencjohnson at centurytel.net
Sun Jan 17 02:04:24 UTC 2010

Marion,

What was the outcome of the incident with the individual claiming to have a
so-called service dog?  Just curious as we know that some apparently
half-cocked policy was implemented, but we do not know what happened to the
individual, the dog etc. Was it quarantined for the bite, was there
admission of falsifying information...lot's of questions.

So, this is a perfect time for this and to ask the questions.  Read on...

January 19th, 2010 » Service Animals: Unraveling the differences and best
practices
The rights of people with disabilities who use service animals vary,
depending on which law applies. The Americans with Disabilities Act, the Air
Carrier Access Act, and the Fair Housing Act each have different standards
for service animals and their owners. Complicating the topic even further is
the issue of the definition of service animals, especially in relation to
emotional support or therapy animals. This session will provide information
about the definition of service animals and the rights of service animal
owners under the ADA, the ACAA, and the FHA. We will also discuss the
differences in how the various laws treat service animals versus emotional
support or therapy animals, as well as model service animal policies for
educational institutions and healthcare facilities.

Speaker:
Jacquie Brennan, Attorney, DBTAC-Southwest ADA Center
Guest Moderator:
Wendy Wilkinson, Project Director, DBTAC-Southwest ADA Center

http://www.ada-audio.org/Schedule/