[nagdu] legislation, education & sugar ray

Bunny Davidson bunnydavidson at live.com
Mon Jan 18 19:42:24 UTC 2010

I agree with Marion that the law to carry a card would violate the rights of the many owner/trainers of  guide dogs and service dogs -  I too am included in that group, and i would have no way to get an ID card.  should i be denied equal rights under the ada because i didnt get a dog from a school?

I for one, have had a lifetime of experience training and showing dogs as well as working professionally in the pet care industry...all prior to
becoming disabled..I chose to pull my last 2 dogs off death row at a pound and rescue them, get them healthy and train them for service dog use.
BTW-thanks for the congrats note judi about sugar ray being S D of the month.  Yes he is a completely different looking dog, way strong, healthy and no
more cowering or object shyness (he used to panic at a door opening, a broom being picked up etc).  He hasn't had any reoccurred of colitis or any other health issues..
-and sunday at church when we were singing the closing song, he got a compliment from the people behind us for his tail doubling as a metronome, he wagged to the beat! lol...

I wonder what a person using a siezure alert dog says when they are asked what trained specialized tasks the dog preforms for them?
would the store owner or bus operator be able to properly decide the dog barking and getting hyped b4 a siezure comes on is truly a specifically trained task that assists the disabled person and would qualify as a true service dog under the law..?

I think no matter how well defined the laws are, there will always be questions from the non service/non guide dog using public/workers/ police/ waitresses/ bus drivers...
I am a firm believer that not many people take the time to really read any laws...and many will read into them whatever suits them..you can not legislate ethics (those who pass of pets as guide or service dogs) , and you cant legislate  kindness or common sense or empathy (those like in my waitress experiences).

I think anna hit it on the head...make it too expensive (fines) for buisnesses to NOT EDUCATE THEMSELVES on the ada and how to properly communicate/inquire of folks with service or guide dogs that enter their businesses...

Hey a couple times over the years ive been in stores and had rude and nosey customers come up to me and tell me my dog wasnt allowed in store! while staring at its SD vest & SD emblem sewn on it..or had folks yell from one end of the isle ' arent you cute. come here boy! ..then they wistle or clap...CLUELESS! LOL...

I thank god every day for my dog...he has given me my life back..not the life i had before, but at least i dont hate my life anymore cause i live a different way...
Even so sometimes i do get very depressed and discouraged at the new challenges i face as a "differently abled" person..
I dont know what i would do if suddenly he wasnt "allowed" in public..

Bunny