[nagdu] 2 dogs around the house

Charlene Ota caota at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jan 27 22:22:46 UTC 2010

I have a guide dog now and we're caring for another guide dog because he was
returned to the foundation for various reasons. The dog we are caring for is
younger than mine. It's a little different than one being a pet and the
other working because we still strive to maintain good behavior for both
dogs since the visitng dog will be reissued when the trainer comes back to
Hawaii shortly.

My boy's the one who tends to bark some, and I have to really keep him in
check or he'd be protecting the whole neighborhood. The other dog hasn't
picked up his barking and probably because I keep working with my dog to
stop his barking. One suggestion is that your husband, if he's willing,
begin to care for Adrienne more so that that dog feels more connected with
him because it's important to bond and maintain the bond with your new
guide. The visiting dog would love to bond with me and I find it's important
to find ways to show your guide that they're the most important in your life
and that you love and care for the other dog but in the end, your guide is
number one. I try not to ever make my boy Irish insecure about his place.
Since he's kind of sensitive, I don't take the other dog for walks, for
example, but part of the time I feed him and brush him and, of course, both
are played with and sit with me. My husband takes the other dog out for
walks and we also harness him up and take him with us at places where we
know people understand that he is a guide dog who's waiting to be reissued
and this way we maintain his work at least to some degree.

Just some thoughts about having the two dogs.

Charlene