[nagdu] 2 dogs around the house

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Thu Jan 28 16:22:10 UTC 2010

HI ioana,

I kept my second dog after I brought my third dog home. The only bad habit
that I really had to work with, is that my second dog's thyroid problems
made him a real counter surfer. I remember going outside to tell my husband
that dinner was ready only to come in and find that the nicely sliced roast
which I had placed well back on the counter wasn't any longer well back on
the counter, in fact, the roast wasn't there at all. I was not happy. After
that, I really watched and made it very clear that neither of them were
allowed to do this. It was a little funny later to know that the retired dog
with his thyroid problems also had stiff joints due to arthritis and so, he
had discovered that his new pal could jump up onto surfaces that he
couldn't. I should have remembered that he was smart enough for that. The
only other two things that I had to watch were initially when I picked up
the harness I never knew who would get into the harness first. The other
thing was that when I fed them I stood between their dishes so that my
ravenous retired lab wouldn't scarf up the food from the younger lab. They
learned to settle down. I've never had a barker so I didn't have to worry
about that.

I think having two dogs is comparable to having two children. Each has a
totally different personality and different annoying habits and good points.
Just love each for who they are and give them the guidance and discipline
needed to achieve the behavior to want.

Good luck.