[nagdu] 2 dogs around the house

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Jan 28 19:13:22 UTC 2010

I also have two dogs in the house right now.  It was a lot more work in the
first few months, but now it's all very easy.

I put away all the toys until I was absolutely confident there would be no
squabbles.   I got out the boring toys first to see how things would go.
Chew bones were the last to be introduced.  Any signs of fussing and the
toys went away.

I also fed them at opposite ends of the room with me in between.   They had
to wait until both dogs were done eating before they could leave their area
of the room.  Then I would pick up the bowls.

I also had to sometimes crate the younger dog when my older dog had just had
enough.  My younger dog has a very high energy level.  the older dog
doesn't.  Sometimes she just wanted to be left alone and the younger dog was
inappropriately insistent that she should be playing with him.

It really only took a few months for everything to settle down and sort
itself out.  Now the toys are always out.  The food bowls are left on the
floor.  I feed them and walk away.  they play together frequently.  And when
older dog wants to be left alone the younger dog respects that.

As for learning bad habits...I don't think that happened with these two.  My
older dog has very good manners, except for barking.  But my younger dog
came with all sorts of  opportunities to learn some new behaviors! LOL  the
older dog never joined in the craziness.  The younger dog will stop barking
with the older dog if I ask him to.

I do have different rules for the current guide and my retired guide.   I
base the rules on the dog, their personality strengths and weaknesses and
what works for us.

Good luck!
Julie