[nagdu] 2 dogs around the house

Toni Whaley blind_treasurer at verizon.net
Sat Jan 30 07:39:05 UTC 2010

Ioana,

All my guide dogs except the first came home to another dog in the house. In
all cases except one, the other dog was my daughter's pet. In those cases
the dogs quickly established a hierarchy among themselves. They learned to
play together and enjoyed each other's company. There was never a problem
when one dog went out with someone and the other stayed home.

In the one case when the dog at home was my retired guide dog, my husband
and daughter took over her care. For the first few times I took the new dog
out, either my daughter or husband would leave the house first and take the
retired dog to the park or for a walk. By the time she got back home, I was
gone and forgotten about. Within a week the retired dog was accustomed to
her new role. Indeed, I think she rather enjoyed the walks more than she had
been enjoying her work. It sounds like you and your husband will make both
Adrian and your new dog comfortable and happy with their respective roles.

Good luck!

toni Whaley