[nagdu] Finicky eaters

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 5 00:45:43 UTC 2010

Lyn and Rox,

I was wondering whehter to confess that I have given up trying to train DD
not to feed from the table. Or while cooking. The way he does it, including
my dog with his, of course, it's actually improved their manners.  Still!  I
would like to be able to claim I have a few principles.  /grin/

The DD way isn't the full Zen you teach, Rox, but it is similar.  Our dogs
have several sets of manners, depending on which table (or approximation)
we're eating at and whether there's company.  Breakfast Club is hysterical,
BTW. The dogs know better than to beg, but they certainly do give him their
full attention! It always looks like they're his disciples sitting raptly at
his feet.  /lol/

I'm not going to test either of them on a meat patties, though!  Sigh. We
had a guest sort of person here for awhile last winter, until we could
finally get rid of him, and he did *not* follow the house rules with the
dogs.  We had to go back to work on a number of things to reclaim our peace
loving, civilized dogs.  Mitzi rediscovered the joys of counter surfing ....
Oh, because that wasn't nearly enough fun to lick in the first place when
she was still young and hadn't fully developed her skills of sneakiness.
Poodles are the tops as sneaky scavengers to begin with.  And I will admit,
she did an impressive steak snag from right under DD's nose while he was
reading directions on a box.  And yet she lived, unbruised and unbloodied.
Saint like paitence was required from both humans.  We discussed our
possible options in non angry voices, and we got pretty creative.

I also had to go back to putting her on restriction at night for awhile.
Cramping her style is very mean treatment.  Just ask her!

I've noticed that we can set stuff on the kitchen island again and find it
there when get back.  Whew!  Actually, Mitzi's an odd little critter.  If we
had yelled at her and made a big deal about her crime, she have thought it
was funny and been more inspired to try again.  As it was, we simply didn't
look at her for awhile, so that took all the fun out it.  Also, we didn't
need the histrionics for her to know how angry and disapproving we were.
Even during her most rebellious teen phase, she would push the envelop and
the boundaries and even break them justs to see how I would react, or the
rest of the audience if there was one around.  Monster!  But she knew
exactly what she was doing, and she would do what I expected of her when it
counted, as well as just how far to push even at home or play.  She
destroyed one set of shoes (they were getting there on their own, anyway)
her first or second day and thought she was pretty funny and clever while I
picked up the pieces grimly and sighed.  So that was the end of that,
although she did think it was funny to steal my shoes and hide each on in a
different part of the house while I was getting dressed to take her out.
Then she would follow me around grinning and wagging while I searched.
Eventually, she clued in that this delayed our getting out to play, so she
stopped and started finding things for me so we could get out and get going.

Well, that tendency to test the line has translated nicely into intelligent
disobedience on the job.  /smile/

Anyway, I think Mommy's little counter surfer has given up her life of petty
crime and is back on the straight and narrow.  For now ....  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney