[nagdu] Finicky eaters

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 5 18:45:58 UTC 2010

OMG! Are we *sure* they're not twins! /lol/  I have a hard enough time
keeping up with the things our two teach other.  With 4, also trained in
service tasks -- like reaching for things -- your dogs have extra tools for
trouble making!

Hm...  Nobody knows, really, where poodles came from.  I have some theories,
most of them from Sci-Fi. /grin/  But I've had some good opportunities for
Dobie watching over the last couple of years, and have some suspicions about
shared ancestry there, somewhere.  Some of Laveau's behavior -- the good,
the awesome, the completely bratty alike -- sound scarily familiar.  /smile/

I was watching a gorgeous dobie female about Mitzi's age a week or so ago,
while she and Mitzi tried to out-cool each other trying to pretend they
didn't want to do anything so silly as play.  I finally blurted out the
observation that dobies and poodles had to be related somewhere ...  I'm not
sure, but I think the dobie's owners were offended.  /lol/  Theirs is a
serious dog breed, while mine is, well, a poodle.

Mitzi has more wild and crazy silly whimsy than I've seen in even young
dobies.  But her response to training and some of the things she does
shockingly well -- like boundary training -- remind me a lot of the dobes.
There are a few other things as well.  And while most people think of
poodles as silly fru-fru circus dogs with crazy dos, the standards do have a
guarding and police work background in other parts of the world.  It's there
in Mitzi, but of course translates nicely in the protective aspect of guide
work.  I did notice last Halloween when we walked into our backyard to find
it was being occupied by adolescent trespassers that she can be quite
fierce.  Also, when those curls all stand on end, she's suddenly kinda big
and scary.  They seemed to think so, too, by all the scrambling and fence
leaping.  /lol/  Mitzi didn't try to chase them, once she had warned them
off, which I was glad of, and she wasn't out of control, so I was able to
praise her for that and for listening to me.  She hasn't shown signs that
the incident unleashed the beast within, which is also good to know.  I did
work on making sure of that over the weeks following -- extra c/t -- just to
be sure.

Anyway, love the stories of your flat-coated poodle.  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney