[nagdu] EXTERNAL: Puppy raising

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Fri Jul 30 20:14:27 UTC 2010

Well, Jordan.
I can certainly understand frustration at uncontrollable fake service
animals.
But, I would reject out of hand having to show an ID everywhere, because
that sounds like what you're saying.
So, I can't have normal travel, I must be Ided every time I go anywhere?
The guide dog partnership, in my opinion, can only work as well as it can be
made convenient. It is supposed to, and does, give us more independence and
is a prosthetic device substituting for some facets of what sight could give
us.
Therefore, I don't like the idea of having to show a card every time I enter
a public place any more than I'd want to be questioned every time I use a
cane, etc.

Certification and IDs and all of that stuff send us or down a slippery
slope...what id will be considered legit, from whom?
And besides, an ID can be made now on a computer.
One more thing, every time I've had an access problem an ID hasn't helped.

What to do about bogus service animals, let me think...smile.

I think maybe the definition has to be tightened up and violations, real
violations, punished.
I think the service dog definition is being tidied up or tightened, isn't
that what we read on this list?

Now, I'll bring up my stay in Japan to show the problem with IDs.
The Japanese had passed a new guide dog access law during my august stay
there.
Apparently, though, only dogs with ID from the Japanese schools were
recognized and I was actually challenged on that after the law came in to
force.
It was rather annoying to say the least.

And besides, again, I'll reiterate that an ID is pretty much only worth the
paper it's written on.

Dan and the Carter Boy