[nagdu] EXTERNAL: Puppy raising

Jordan Frances Ortiz ortizj32 at students.rowan.edu
Fri Jul 30 20:21:16 UTC 2010

Dan Weiner wrote:
> Well, Jordan.
> I can certainly understand frustration at uncontrollable fake service
> animals.
> But, I would reject out of hand having to show an ID everywhere, because
> that sounds like what you're saying.
> So, I can't have normal travel, I must be Ided every time I go anywhere?
> The guide dog partnership, in my opinion, can only work as well as it can be
> made convenient. It is supposed to, and does, give us more independence and
> is a prosthetic device substituting for some facets of what sight could give
> us.
> Therefore, I don't like the idea of having to show a card every time I enter
> a public place any more than I'd want to be questioned every time I use a
> cane, etc.
>
> Certification and IDs and all of that stuff send us or down a slippery
> slope...what id will be considered legit, from whom?
> And besides, an ID can be made now on a computer.
> One more thing, every time I've had an access problem an ID hasn't helped.
>
> What to do about bogus service animals, let me think...smile.
>
> I think maybe the definition has to be tightened up and violations, real
> violations, punished.
> I think the service dog definition is being tidied up or tightened, isn't
> that what we read on this list?
>
> Now, I'll bring up my stay in Japan to show the problem with IDs.
> The Japanese had passed a new guide dog access law during my august stay
> there.
> Apparently, though, only dogs with ID from the Japanese schools were
> recognized and I was actually challenged on that after the law came in to
> force.
> It was rather annoying to say the least.
>
> And besides, again, I'll reiterate that an ID is pretty much only worth the
> paper it's written on.
>
> Dan and the Carter Boy

Hey Dan:

I think the tightening of law would serve just as well if not better
then my ID idea. thanks for another solution that my I didn't think of.
The Japan story raises a great reasonaas to why Id's aren't a great idea
I was just trying to figure out a way that we could get rid of some of
our service dog problems.  I've only been asked for certification for
viola once adn at thatpoint it was just easier to show th id then to get
kicked off my bus.  I guess we just have to roll witht he punches.  We
took on these responsibilities and issues when we become handlers.  I
hope no one thinks i'm complaining about raising or having a guide dog.
It was just a thought.
Jordan and Viola