[nagdu] being reported to your school and thoughts on posativetraining methods

Charlene Ota caota at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jul 31 21:34:46 UTC 2010

Hi, Meghan, I got my dog from Guide Dogs Victoria in Australia and it was an
interesting training experience compared with the schools I attended before.
The trainer that trained my dog used a lot of possitive reenforcement and
didn't rely much on leash corrections. My dog doesn't usually respond that
well to hard leash corrections as I don't think that was commonly used in
his training. He responds to my voice very well so I just have to change my
pitch and be more gruff or happy or whatever is called for. If he's a  bit
distracted and not responding to my voice, I can pick up the leash and
jangle his chain a bit and that usually will bring him back on track nicely.
I remember once in an elevator at a national convention my dog was getting a
bit too interested in another dog. I vocally corrected him and he didn't
respond so I picked up the leash and rattled his chain a bit and spoke to
him and that was the end of it. The other handler commented something like
"well, what kind of a correction was that, that's not going to do much
good." I commented that it was enough for him, but I really didn't want to
get in an argument or anything because I know for most school's and the
training that we are given, that would have been considered a stupid leash
correction so I understand where the person was coming from.

I find not using hard leash corrections was something to get used to but
it's nice working with the dog this way. I haven't used the clicker. I think
the school uses it in some situations but it wasn't used with my dog. From
what I understand, some dogs do better with clicker than others. Guess it's
just like anything else.

But I do like the changes that are happening with guide dog training. Also,
part of it is in the breeding process, looking for more personality traits
for compliant dogs, for example. When I was in Australia, one of the
trainers was telling me that in this process, they ended up with dogs that
were too compliant for a time while trying to find the right balance.

If dog schools go in this sort of direction, it will be an adjustment for
some people. I know one person who is used to being pretty heavy-handed with
corrections and speaking rather harshly to their dogs, I think partly they
sometimes have control issues! (smile!) But when a dog is trained with
things like possitive reenforcement and probably clicker as well, you have
to change your ways, too. If a dog has been trained this way and you
maintain your old harsher ways, there's a good potential for breaking the
dog.

Charlene