[nagdu] Critical blind people

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sat Jul 31 22:15:51 UTC 2010

Charlene.
Interesting story...the comment the person on the elevator made is precisely
the type of thing that makes me hesitate to be around a lot of blind people
with dogs--smile.
Everyone's a critic, I seem to be the only one I know who doesn't try to
tell other handlers what to do.
Our fellow blind seem to be generally a rather judgmental lot who jump to
conclusions.  I don't want another blind person or sighted person to try to
make me feel ashamed because I may find things harder, Hell, some things I
do better than the self-appointed critics, some worse.
This is actually a comment not meant only in terms of guide dog use, but in
general terms.

You want examples, fine;
I have  a hearing loss in one ear, I can't tell where sound comes from very
well, in other words I have problems with sound localization.
If I had a dollar for every time some fellow blind genius has made asinine
comments such as: "Oh, I wonder why they gave him a dog, why can't he follow
my voice", I'd be a rich guy.
Of course, our sighted brother and sisters are champions of this type of
brilliant and I believe deliberately hurtful comment.

I know Rox here has hearing problems, have blind people acted like idiots to
you, too?

We want acceptance as blind people but we seem to have very little tolerance
for diversity.

Now when at Leader, several of my fellow American students made helpful
comments like those. I say fellow American because I did notice the
Brazilians and Spaniards, whom I can communicate with through my knowledge
of languages, were not making snide comments.    When at Leader, it
generally was gossiped that I couldn't find my chair at the cafeteria.
Yes, why?
1. We don't work our doggies in the dorm for a long time.
2.  Unlike everyone else, I'm attempting to be considerate and not barrel
through the place stepping on every one and everyone's dogs. Maybe that's a
slight exaggeration.
Also, I felt I didn't get a very good explanation of where my seat was and I
didn't have a chance to practice without a million people whom I had to
worry about stepping on--smile.

Now, that type of stuff used to piss me off big time. Obviously it still
does--smile--but I was much calmer about it this time than say other times,
because I figured, I'm coming to guide dog school to better my quality of
life and the other students won't be going home with me to hold my hand and
make fun.

Any comments?--smile.

Especially some of the partially sighted guys were giving everyone else a
blow by blow description of my hesitant walking style. I suppose they would
have been happier if I lumbered barreling down the hall stepping on people
and running them over because I couldn't hear where they were.  I'll make
sure to two that next time so that everyone's happy.
When I'm by myself I'm fast, actually--smile

This has gone way off track, but I'd love to hear everyone's take on it.

Cordially,

Dan W. and the Carter Hound