[nagdu] clicker training

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 22:48:05 UTC 2010

Laura,

There is a difference between positive training and permissive
training.  Which program is using exclusively positive methods?  I'm
just curious as I'd not heard that any of them had switched to totally
positive methods.

When I'm teaching a new behavior, like a recall, I don't give the cue
word at all until the dog is reliably performing the behavior.
So for a recall I'd start in a small boring space, and every time the
dog came to me, I'd click and treat.  I'd then move to more
interesting spaces with small distractions and putting the dog on
leash, click/treat every time she came to me.  I would build up
slowly, adding distractions while lengthening the leash.  Hand
targeting is also good for this behavior.  I teach my dog to touch my
hand, then increase distance.
Also a recall is something that IMHO should always be highly
reinforced.  When my dog comes to me, whether it's because I asked her
to or because she chose to, she is always highly reinforced.  Don't
ask your dog for behaviors if you're not 100% sure that he can do when
cued.

Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point
out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-
wit, and the emperor remains an emperor."-- Neil Gaiman
http://www.pawpowercreations.com/retreat.html
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl