[nagdu] Critical blind people

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 23:14:03 UTC 2010

Hi Dan,
Oh yes, I get judged quite a bit because I can't use my ears to orient
to my environment.  I went to an NFB convention in 2006 which was held
at the hotel in Dallas.  I got lost quite a bit and every time I'd ask
someone for assistance, they'd invariably say, "Listen to the
fountain, where you want to go, that's left of the fountain."
I couldn't hear the fountain at all and when I said that I was deaf, I
got quite a few nasty comments, the most polite of which was, "well I
can't help you, then."
Also when I ask a person for directions, and they snap their fingers
or tap on a chair/table and say "Over here!" and then they get
frustrated because I can't figure out where over here is, exactly.  I
can hear people speaking if we're in a quiet place, but I can't tell
where the person is because like you, I can't localize sound.
I've also been chastised by other blind people and guide dog program
employees for expecting my dog to help me in convention settings by
finding things such as the elevator, or the door outside.  I spend a
great deal of time training this skill and I would say that my dogs
are far more fluent in the "find" cue than most guide dogs because
it's a necessity for them to be.  For many blind people, the find cue
is just an added bonus.  I've been told that it is too much to expect
my dog to find elevators or whatever and that I am going to stress my
dog out, that I'm not taking responsibility for my part in the team
and that my dog can't be expected to just take me where I want to go.
I do have very good O&M skills, but I'm also deaf so my needs are
different than for most guide dog handlers who are blind only.
I get frustrated sometimes because I don't know why we can't just
appreciate the one another's differences instead of getting upset when
someone can't or chooses not to, do things like the majority.

Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point
out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-
wit, and the emperor remains an emperor."-- Neil Gaiman
http://www.pawpowercreations.com/retreat.html
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl