[nagdu] Hello from returning member

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 13 16:30:34 UTC 2010

Welcome back, Gail!  I must have joined after you left the list.  I'm tami, and I live in Oregon with an owner-trained poodle guide named Mitzi, who turns 4 tomorrow.  I can still hardly believe she's a grown up, but there it is.

Over the past few years, it has seemed like guide dog schools are becoming more and more open to applicants with additional disabilities, although I don't know how rigid they are about the boundaries between crappy vision and actual legal blindness these days.  It probably depends on the school.

I know there are others on the list with balance issues to go along with their vision issues, so they should be able to steer you in a useful direction.  A couple of the other owner-trainers have  cross-trained dogs for two or more issues, including balance.

Good luck.

Tami Smith-Kinney