[nagdu] Re Hello from Returning Member

Gail deerskin at oct.net
Mon Jun 14 22:44:41 UTC 2010

Sounds like an interesting program! Is that the one that was founded by the
man who wrote the book "Almo, His Master's Eyes"? I remember that he started
a school in LA, but always have wondered what happened to it. I have kind of
an odd hobby, as an offshoot of my studies when I wanted to become a
trainer-I'm always interested in the histories of the various programs,
their tack, and so on, learning the history of guide dogs in this country
has developed. And, as someone who has often had to make or adapt harness to
fit my needs, the history of working dog wear in the various programs is
still really interesting. I remember seeing, a long time ago, pictures of
harness handles that were shaped kind of like a capital K, but with a
handgrip at the top of the K. But I've never been able to find out since
then what program used those, why, or been able to find pics again. I think
that might have been an early attempt at an offset handle, but thats just a
guess of mine.

Getting off my pet hobby horse and back on subject, what do you mean when
you say that the "approach to those who know
Dogs is collegial." And I wonder how they feel about someone who has 'self
taught' cane training.....because as things are going, it may come to that
for me. None of the places I've called or emailed here in Kansas have
replied. We recently had major budget cuts, and the State department of the
blind doesnt seem to exist now. There is a school for children, but thats in
Kansas City, and for children. So I might have to try to learn on my own,
with a little help from YouTube videos. But I can sure tell you, I am
*hating* every moment I have to go out without the help of a four footed
friend. Its scary and exhausting, worrying that I'm going to miss a trap,
and fall. And for me a fall is a disaster. The last time I fell, it took me
half an hour to crawl over to something to gradually lever myself up. But I
never once fell when I had the help of my SDs...

Gail