[nagdu] The Indomitable Spirit of Ray McGeorge to Live in OurHearts Forever

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 02:09:37 UTC 2010

I first met Ray when I visited the Colorado Center on a tour way bakc
in August of 1998. I remember him welcoming me to the Center and
commenting that I was from Texas. About 5 months later I saw him again
at the Center, but that time I was starting there as a student. The
thing that struck me about him even at that early point was that he
remembered who I was after I just said my name. I remember he said,
"Ah, you're the young man from texas, right?" Even though I had just
met him, again, that really impressed me, and still impresses me.
There aren't many blind folk that remember who you are after a 5 month
absence, and we really didn't talk all that much in the first meeting
months earlier either. I got to know him better and his history when
he talked during one of the seminar sessions at the Center,. I've
since learned more about him and Diane, especially their time as part
of the NFB of Colorado, and that they were honored with the NFB's
highest award, the Jacobus TenBroek Award, in the eighties for their
work. What a good old down to earth man who could make anyone feel
welcomed.

Ray, you definitely contributed and you will be missed. Thanks man,
Wayne