[nagdu] o/t Found this story on Blind, Inc.

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 26 10:49:22 UTC 2010

For those who do not know what Blind, Inc. is

BLIND, Incorporated is an adjustment to blindness training center. We teach
the skills that blind people need to become independent and employable such
as braille, home management, the use of the white cane, and computers with
screen reading software, etc. But just as importantly, we instill in our
students the confidence to put these skills into practice. We utilize the
positive view of blindness of the National Federation of the Blind. We work
from the premise that blindness doesn't have to be a tragedy. We know that,
if given training and opportunity, blind people can live full and productive
lives.

I have not been to any of the schools but definitely know the philosophy of
the NFB that Blindness doesn't have to be a tragedy. I enjoy my life and
want others to enjoy it as well.

Anywhere here is the link and the story.

http://www.blindinc.org/articles/dogs.html

BLIND, Inc., Goes to the Dogs

by Harry Hogue

 From the Editor: Last spring we received the following article from the
staff of BLIND, Incorporated, the Minnesota affiliate's adult training
center for the blind. It seemed appropriate to squirrel it away till cooler
weather. Here it is, beginning with an introduction by BLIND, Inc.'s,
assistant director, Dick Davis:

Most people think of Minneapolis, where Blindness: Learning In New
Dimensions (BLIND), Inc., is located, as way up north. In fact it's on the
edge of the agricultural southern quarter of the state, barely 100 miles
from the Iowa border. But stretching 300 miles farther north to the Canadian
border is a different land, a land of small towns, great distances, and
wilderness areas populated by deer, bear, moose, and timberwolves (who
ignore people).

It's a beautiful land of forests, glacier-sculpted hills and lakes, and low
mountains like the Mesabi Iron Range, where a lot of the nation's iron ore
is mined. It was settled by fur trappers, loggers, and miners, who used
canoes, horses, and dogsleds to cover the miles between isolated villages.
Those forms of transportation have been replaced by powerboats, SUVs, and
snowmobiles, but some of the old ways still linger on.

We at BLIND, Inc., are always seeking over-the-top activities for our
students to do that uniquely highlight Minnesota--like dogsledding.
Dogsledding is still popular in northern Minnesota, although more as a sport
than as a form of transportation (snowmobiles have taken its place). The
annual John Beargrease Dogsled Race, which ends in Duluth, brings
competitors from all over the country. Minnesota mushers travel north to
Alaska to compete in the Iditarod, the famous Alaskan dogsled classic.
People we know who've tried dogsledding have described it as a rush, so it
seemed exactly what we were looking for.

After searching the Internet and making some phone calls, we discovered
Krystal Kennels in Grand Rapids, 200 miles north of the Twin Cities. Joe and
Robin Oberton, the owners, host a number of school, college, and corporate
groups each winter. But would they let blind people drive the sleds? Sure!
In fact they'd employed a blind dog handler, who now works in Fairbanks,
Alaska. Joe said he'd stand on one runner, the student would stand on the
other, and he'd describe the country they were passing through, give
instructions, and tell when to turn and when to stop.

In fact he wanted our students involved in the complete experience:
harnessing the dogs, holding them (they're strong) until the sled was ready
to go, driving the sleds, and riding as passengers. It sounded like a good
deal to us, so off we went to Grand Rapids, arriving at the Sawmill Inn
about fifteen minutes before our orientation to dogsledding was to begin. We
laughed when we saw the sign posted to the left of the door: "No Hockey
Sticks Allowed." Welcome to Northern Minnesota.

Harry Hogue is a BLIND, Inc., student from Arkansas, a warmer place, where
dogsledding is not a local phenomenon. We asked him to write an article for
the Monitor, giving his impressions of the trip. This is what he wrote:

If someone were to ask me, "What one thing do you think you will do during
your training at BLIND, Incorporated, that will surprise you?" I would never
have thought to answer "dogsledding." Before the experience, like many other
people, I really had no concept of what it involved. Only 10 percent of
people have ever been dogsledding. All of the students, most of the staff,
and the director went along for the fun, and everyone rode in and drove the
sled. If the guides were nervous about having twenty-two blind people in
control, they didn't show it. The only accommodation needed or provided was
that one of the dog handlers stood behind us on the runners to provide
directions and ensure that the dogs didn't lead any of us into trees,
potholes, or snow banks.

Everyone had an incredible time; the only complaint was that it could have
lasted longer. Because of the size of our group and the stamina of the dogs,
we were outside for approximately three hours. This gave everyone at least
one opportunity to ride and one opportunity to drive. Some people rode more
than once.

I greatly enjoyed having the opportunity to drive the sled; the feeling of
wind on your face is incredible, particularly considering that I had never
before driven a vehicle under my own power. Everyone else expressed similar
sentiments. Steve Decker, the computer instructor, said it was "an
incredible experience!" Laura Oakgrove, Valerie Williams, Tavita
Faasuamalie, and Jonathan McClung all agreed that it was "really nice," "a
lot of fun," "really cool," and, in Jonathan's case, "It reminded me of
Alaska."

So what happened before our sled rides? We started the adventure the day
before with the drive to Grand Rapids in northern Minnesota, followed by an
orientation to dogsledding immediately upon arrival at the hotel. Joe
Oberton, the owner, with his wife Robin, of Krystal Kennels, led the
orientation with energy and pride. He was enthusiastic about having blind
people participate in riding and driving the sleds and showed clear pride in
his dogs and their abilities.

At one point during his orientation, he said he was not unfamiliar with
blindness. He remarked, in fact, that he had a legally blind dog handler
work for him before she moved to Alaska. In addition he had a blind dog as
part of the dog teams that we would meet the next day. After the orientation
all of us enjoyed a nice dinner at the hotel restaurant, followed, for most
of us, by an enjoyable swim in the indoor pool or a relaxing few minutes in
the sauna. This relaxation was important, because, starting at 9:00 a.m. the
next morning, we would be on our feet for the majority of the day.

Joe prepared us to meet the dogs by telling us that they would "scream" in
eagerness to pull the sleds. It was a cacophony of noise with nearly forty
dogs simultaneously vying for our attention. I found the dogs, despite my
previous expectations, to be quite friendly.

After meeting the dogs, we followed Joe, Robin, and one of Joe's assistants
to a local snowmobile trail that cut through the woods. While some students
helped harness the dogs to prepare the team for the sleds, others discussed
who would be first to ride or drive. Though some expressed nervousness
initially about driving, once they had ridden, they were eager to try it.

I can't speak for everyone, but I found driving to be far more enjoyable
than riding. It went deeper than a simple sled ride. It was a physical
sensation of freedom that represented the fact that, despite blindness, I
could do lots of things that I had previously thought impossible. The
experience opened possibilities for employment, leisure activities, and so
forth that I had never considered possible.

While none of us drove the sleds without a dog handler traveling behind us
providing directions, this was the same as it would have been for anyone
else. No one, blind or sighted, goes through life without accepting some
form of assistance. Sighted people depend on directions in an unfamiliar
city; blind people do the same. Sighted people depend on reading print to
access materials; blind people depend on Braille.

Attitudes are the overarching determinant of success or failure for any
individual in any stage of life. We would have had a different experience in
Grand Rapids if Joe and Robin had not expressed their enthusiasm and
confidence in blind people and if we had not been willing to find a way to
participate in this activity. It is the same at BLIND, Incorporated. When I
walk through the door each morning, I expect and receive a feeling of
confidence from every instructor here. It is the attitude, "Of course you
can. Why wouldn't you be able to?" This feeling-this attitude-naturally
lends itself to success.

If you listen to something long enough, you will start to believe it. BLIND,
Incorporated, is a six-to-nine-month adjustment-to-blindness training
program for a reason: it takes much less time to acquire the skills of
blindness than it does to acquire the positive attitudes that make those
skills truly efficient and effective.

If someone hands me a piece of wood and says he or she would like me to make
a project, I expect, because of my training, that I can. If someone gives me
a recipe and requests that I prepare a meal, I expect, because of my
training, that I can do so. If someone gives me directions to a place I have
never been and asks me to bring something back, I expect, because of my
training, that I can.

I do not worry about my performance; I will not worry about other people's
perceptions of me. These days I worry only whether or not I am challenging
myself. It seems to me that challenging yourself should be the goal of
everyone, anywhere, regardless of life circumstances. As Harry Emerson
Fosdick said, "The man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by
someone doing it."

Echevarria Travel! One on One Travel Agent, Making Your Travel Dreams Come
True!

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant
C10-10646