[nagdu] apolgies

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 26 13:44:10 UTC 2010

Gail,
    First of all, I need to say that ophthalmologists are, for the most
part, very ignorant about blindness. They see it as their failure and have
no clue what services are available for the blind nor any perception of how
a blind person can function independently. Furthermore, their focus seems to
be only on acuity, not field of vision, both of which are considered in a
determination of legal blindness. Though I am not an ophthalmologist, your
comment about depth perception issues leads me to believe that your field of
vision is very restricted and your acuity in your worse eye may be less than
what the doctor is saying. BTW, Most schools consider the whole definition
of legal blindness when making a determination of eligibility: 20/200 in the
better eye after correction and/or a field of vision of less than 20
degrees. I would encourage you to not give up too quickly, as there are
schools that might work with you. Check out GDF and Southeastern before you
give up completely.

fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala