[nagdu] Re NAGDU resolution and guide dogs at zoos

Cathryn Bonnette cathrynisfinally at verizon.net
Wed Jun 30 20:21:39 UTC 2010

Elizabeth and all,

Last time I checked, rational basis was the standard of review when
disability is the basis for a civil rights violation. That means, if I
understand correctly, that any plausible rational basis that justifies the
alleged discrimination will win in court. If a zoo management can explain a
need to exclude service animals including guide dogs from a zoo, (I can
think of multiple possibilities to add to those previously mentioned) the
zoo management wins.

It seems important to avoid this type of claim from going to court for such
an adverse ruling. Credibility is sufficiently problematic in the blind
community without this particular set back. Meanwhile there are pressing
issues such as decreasing numbers of blind persons in federal employment in
a poor economy etc.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks for listening.

Cathryn (& Abby)