[nagdu] Re NAGDU resolution and guide dogs at zoos

Michael Hingson mhingson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 30 20:10:57 UTC 2010

Elizabeth,

I understand your viewpoint.  However, today we see a lack of education
concerning the access rights of blind persons with guide dogs as well as the
access rights of other persons with their service dogs.  On this list we
have seen how the police have taken the stand that the "problem is a civil
one and not under our jurisdiction".  Remember that the discrimination is
not against the animal but rather the person who happens to be using the
animal.

Criminalizing the discrimination puts teeth into the law and puts
enforcement in part on the law enforcement agencies.  At the same time we
must be responsible for our actions and for protecting the law by not
abusing it.

I think the access laws should carry a criminal penalty if broken.  We need
to be insured as much as possible that we really do get the same rights as
others.

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
     “Speaking with Vision”
                 Michael Hingson, President
                         (415) 827-4084
                   info at michaelhingson.com
                   www.michaelhingson.com

for info on the new KNFB Reader Mobile, visit:
http://knfbreader.michaelhingson.com