[nagdu] Re NAGDU resolution and guide dogs at zoos

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 30 21:50:41 UTC 2010

Elizabeth,
    I agree that there are corresponding responsibilities with every right.
The ADA protects both the right of the disabled person and those of the
public accommodation. There are certainly occasions in which a service
animal may not be the best choice for mobility and, if it causes a direct
threat to the health or safety of others that cannot be eliminated by a
reasonable modification of policies, practices, or procedures or the animal
is out of control and the handler does not take immediate, effective action
to correct the behavior, the animal may be excluded. however, to statutorily
allow a zoo to arbitrarily discriminate against a disabled person
accompanied by a service animal, is in direct violation of the ADA.
    Our goal through criminalization in those states in which there are no
criminal remedies is to facilitate nmore effective, immediate resolutions by
allowing law enforcement officers to intervene and resolve the access issue.
By doing so, we also relieve the disabled person from the lengthy civil
processes and the costs involved in them.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala