[nagdu] But so and so lets me pet their dog!

Deanna Lewis deannakay618 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 20:03:37 UTC 2010

Hi,
I know how you feel, everywhere we go people try to pet Pascal. I do have some vision so I usually catch it. But, lots of times they try to sneak it in, thinking "Oh she's blind she won't see me pet her dog!" And to me, it seems like kids are so much more understanding that the dog can not be distracted while working, adults are just hard headed and get mad when you say no.
My dog is from GDB and they actually give us little cards to pass out to people saying that my dog is a working dog and he should not be pet while working. It also explains how guide dogs help their handlers get around. I don't usually pass them out, but maybe I should. I just think it's kind of rude to shove a card at them and go on. Usually I just explain the obvious, if he is distracted, he may get us both hurt. I don't know if there is a cure for all of this or not, but maybe as more sighted people are educated about guide dogs, it will get better. Take care.
Deanna and Pascal