[nagdu] But so and so lets me pet their dog!

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Mon Mar 8 17:22:10 UTC 2010

Hi Deanna,
No, I don't think we can "cure" people of interacting with our guide dogs.

Yes, we can try to educate - start this while the people are little kids!
Hand out those little cards from GDB.

Teach all your guide dogs to NOT respond to the drive-by petting they get.
When the people see that the dog doesn't give them the time of day, they
quit and walk away.  People petting our dogs is just another distraction in
the envirnment.

Personally, I used to be all anal about petting. It used to get me all spun
up. So, I gave that up and I feel much more calm while out and about.  I
will let someone pet Landon if we are stopped and chatting and I don't have
the harness handle in my hand.

Also, I do something that lots of people don't do.  I'm aroound other guide
dog users all the time.  I will allow Landon to greet his friends and then
it's back to work. He is fine with this and so are the other dogs.  What I
see is that sometimes we encounter a person who NEVER allows their dog to
greet anyone - person or dog.  The dog is usually going nuts trying to
greet. Dogs are social animals and so are we!  An under control greet
usually satisfies the dog and there's not alot of the out of control stuff.

Lyn and Landon